My experience trying to use Citi ThankYou Premier card’s companion certificate program was a pleasant one resulting in savings of $229 as compared to buying two tickets out of pocket at the market rate.
If I had bought the two tickets directly from the Airline, these would have cost me $637 total. I got the exact same flights for $408 through Citi Companion Certificate program by calling them at 888-428-4078. This comes to a net savings of $229, well over the annual fee for the card.
I simply love this card. A detailed analysis of this card can be found in this post. Best of all, you will earn miles on both the tickets!
Some points to be noted:
- Cardholder has to be one of the two travelers.
- Tickets have to be booked at least 4 days in advance.
- You may not have a choice of flights covered by the program.
- It is not a real companion certificate that gives you the second ticket for free. But in a few other test cases I tried, the savings ranged between 50-70% of the total cost of two tickets. That is fantastic in my opinion.
- You have to use Citi ThankYou card to pay for the tickets.